Friday 24 October 2014

Movie review of Fury



Fury - 8/10
Directed by David Ayer
Written by David Ayer
Cast - Brad Pitt, Michael Pena, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Jon Bernthal


Plot Summary

April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.


Review
It has really been a long time since I wrote a movie review. Well basically because I was busy with work and all and also there weren't much good movies to watch as well. It has been awhile since I watched a movie in the cinema so when I found out that Fury was out in the nearby cinema, I had to watch it and it was the perfect movie to watch cause it pretty much got my groove back. There are some actors I will always follow and rarely their movies are shit. Brad Pitt is one such actor. I have pretty much watched almost all of his movies except for Terrence Malick's Tree of Life because watching grass grow is more exciting than watching any of Malick's movies. Fuck him.


The colouring for Fury is really consistent and I loved the sound design. you can hear from left to right, the different sounds used which are specific and integral for certain war scenes. Casting I have to say is fantastic. The chemistry between Pitt's character and his men was believable. Script was really good and quote worthy as well. Michael Pena was hilarious. That whole house/breakfast scene was pivotal for the movie because it kinda shows what are each of the men like. You have Pitt as the leader, Lerman as the newbie and being bullied upon. Pena as the comedian. Bernthal as the brute/bully and then you have LaBeouf. I never was a fan of Shia LaBeouf cause half the fuck time in the first three transformer movies, he is either shouting OPTIMUS! or he is mumbling. In Fury however he does tend to mumble his lines abit but his acting was overall decent and he cries alot....practically almost every scene you will see a teardrop.


The war and tank fight sequences were amazing. Really solid editing on that part. And you will get to see a genuine Nazi Tiger tank which is the only fully functioning tank in the world. Like I said the tank fight scene is pretty awesome and keeps you at the edge of your seat.


All in all I have to say Fury is worth watching twice even on the weekends. For the WW2 buffs, you will love it. Enjoy.




Quotes

Wardaddy: Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.

Norman Ellison: Best job I've ever had.




Recommended movies done by the director
End of watch
Harsh Times
Street Kings
Sabotage


* Possible Spoiler Alert
I'm not too sure if anyone will get this but I kinda feel that Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf's characters are lovers. There are quite a few scenes where I feel there is something going on between the two of them. I could be wrong but that's what my gaydar tells me. Whatever it is, Fury is a fantastic movie to watch.

No comments: