Wednesday 16 January 2013

Movie review of Cloud Atlas


Cloud Atlas - 8/10
Directed by Tom Tykwer and the Wachowski siblings
Cast - Tom Hank,Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Hugo Weaving, Doona Bae, Jim Sturgess

Plot Summary
An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.

Review
What a brilliant movie. I had a fantastic time watching Cloud Atlas. I was moved with sadness, anger, laughter and joy throughout the different parts of the movie. Cloud Atlas is truly a gem. Fantastic direction, a good soundtrack and fantastic make up.And I couldn't ask for more as the casting for this movie was perfect.
I have to give it to the actors for Cloud Atlas. Acting in different roles within one movie is no easy task and the cast here did a fantastic job even the supporting cast doing minor roles as well.One who exceptionally stands out is Hugo Weaving. This guy is just too cool and every role he does, you are bound to remember him by. Halle Berry, Tom Hanks and Hugh Grant were pretty good as well. The chemistry between all of them was good. I really liked the costumes and make up for Cloud Atlas. You also have a pretty decent script as well. Direction is fucking awesome. Why? Because you have three of the greatest visionaries as directors directing in one movie.Tom Tykwer and the Wachowski siblings (its no longer Wachowski brothers anymore cause Larry Wachowski has had a sex change and is now known as Lana Wachowski) are great stand alone directors. But for this project they did quite alot of research and really took their time from what I read. I think their efforts paid off and Cloud Atlas is truly a masterpiece. This is what I would call story telling at its finest. At almost 3 hours long, you will not feel the time go by as you get totally immersed into the story. Perhaps you will wonder what the fuck is going on in the beginning but as the story or stories unfold, you will start to understand.

Really worth watching on a weekend with a loved one and get the dvd when it comes out. Check it out.

Best Quotes
Isaac Sachs: Yesterday, I believe I would never have done what I did today. I feel like something important has happened to me. Is this possible? I just met her, and yet... I have fallen in love with Luisa Rey.

Robert Frobisher: A half-finished book is, after all, a half finished love affair.

Sonmi-451: Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Abbess: [in a trance] Bridge'a'broken, hide below, Hands'a'bleedin', can't let go, enemy sleepin', don't slit that throat.

Recommended movies done by the director
Tom Tykwer
Run Lola Run
Perfume
The princess and the warrior
Wachowski siblings
Matrix
Speed Racer

No comments: